Getting Your Texas Motorcycle License

Motorcycle safety course, training with road cones for Motorcycle License

Do you live in Texas and want to get your motorcycle license? Getting your Texas motorcycle license requires a motorcycle safety course, vision exam, knowledge test, road test, and more. Review the procedures below to see how you can get a motorcycle endorsement in the Lone Star State.

Motorcycle Endorsement for Riders Aged 15-17

Motorcycle riders can apply for a motorcycle learner’s permit at age 15 and a motorcycle endorsement on their driver’s licenses beginning at age 16. To apply for a permit, you must:

●        Apply at a Texas Driver’s License office in person

●        Provide certification for an approved motorcycle safety course (MSB-8 or MSB-8R)

●        Provide appropriate identification, including a Class C provisional license and proof of a 32-hour driver’s education course with form DE-964 or PTDE-964 for students taught by parents

●        Present a Verification of Enrollment and Attendance (VOE) form from your high school, signed by appropriate authority from your school

●        Bring a parent or guardian to sign for authorization

●        Pass the written knowledge exam

If applying for a learner’s permit, you do not need to take the road test until you apply for your motorcycle endorsement. If under the age of 16, your permit will have an I Restriction, and you may not ride a motorcycle over 250-cc engine size. The restriction lifts automatically on your 16th birthday.

With a permit or J Restriction, you must always have a licensed motorcyclist supervisor over 21 years old riding with you.

When you apply for your motorcycle license endorsement and qualify for your Class M endorsement, you can ride without restrictions.

Getting Your Texas Motorcycle License as an Adult Over 18

For riders pursuing their Class M driver’s license, the requirements differ from applying for a learner’s permit. When getting your Texas motorcycle license, you must submit:

●        A completed application for a Texas Driver’s License or State ID

●        Proof of lawful presence or citizenship

●        Proof of identity and residency

●        Your social security number (SSN) or documentation that you never had an SSN in a sworn affidavit

●        Registration and insurance for all vehicles you own or a signed affidavit that you do not own any vehicles

●        A certificate for Texas Driver Education (DE-964 or DE-964E) (if you do not have a Texas Driver’s License)

All motorcyclists must complete a knowledge test, vision exam, and road test. Taking the approved motorcycle safety course could waive the knowledge test requirement. If you are transferring your motorcycle endorsement from another state or a Canadian province, you may not have to take the road skills test.

Motorcycle Safety Courses

Texas requires that new riders and endorsement applicants take a state-approved motorcycle safety course. Additionally, any rider under 18, including riders who already have a motorcycle endorsement in another state, must take an approved driver’s education course and complete the Impact Texas Driver’s (ITD) program.

Safety courses for beginners cover basic skills in handling a motorcycle, sharing the road with other motor vehicle drivers, and how to react in an emergency.

Call Us at Law Tigers for Motorcycle Law in Texas

We hope you found this overview to be helpful. Contact your local Texas DMV office for additional information about what you might need to get your Class M endorsement at your particular age and skill level.

At Law Tigers, we’re attorneys who ride, representing bikers and their families in personal injury and accident claims. Call us today at 1-888-863-7216 to find a motorcycle lawyer near you.