No one plans on getting into a motorcycle accident when they commute or go for a ride. However, it is an unfortunate reality that if you’re often in the saddle, your risk of an accident is higher.
Doing all the right things to prevent accidents is a great first step, but you should also be thinking about what might happen in the scenario of an accident. Specifically, knowing who should call first in the case of a motorcycle accident and when you should can help save you time, money, and long-term stress if something is to happen.
When Do You Need to Report an Accident?
If you are in any motor vehicle accident, you should report it immediately. However, there is an order of operations that will allow you to get the best information to the proper authorities.
The first thing you should do when you get into an accident is ensure that you and any other parties are safe, and that you are not at further risk by remaining on the road. If medical treatment is necessary, that takes priority over everything else. It is especially important to make sure that shock is not preventing you from realizing the severity of damages or injury.
Once you have made sure everyone is safe and attended to, you should report your accident next.
How Long Do You Have to Report an Accident?
The time you have to report an accident varies by state and organization. There is a big difference between DMV and Police reporting and the way in which you report things to an insurance company. Similarly, we recommend that you have a top-tier motorcycle accident lawyer who you can consult before most major reporting.
Here are some general guidelines for the timeline of reporting a motorcycle accident:
Timeframe to Report an Accident to the Police
Even if there is no significant cosmetic damage to your motorcycle as well as any injuries,, it is still recommended you immediately call 911. In Arizona, you have 24 hours to contact the police regarding an accident – and we recommend doing so as quickly as possible following one.
How Long After an Accident Can You Report an Injury?
You have 24 hours after a motorcycle accident to report an injury or death to the police or local authorities. Similarly, you have 10 days to report the same information to the DMV while including a damage report.
How Long Before You Report an Accident to Insurance?
The statute of limitations will vary by each state; in Arizona, for example, you have up to two years to report bodily injury or property damage for insurance claims. Your provider may request that you submit as soon as possible – sometimes even within 24 hours. However, it is not always realistic that you will be physically or mentally prepared to report so soon, and you might need to get more information or legal recourse first.
How to Report an Accident
The first thing you should do is make sure you and other parties are not seriously injured. Shock is a very powerful condition, and do not hesitate to call for immediate treatment if necessary. Once you have assessed medical conditions, do the following:
- Call the Police: Making sure an objective authority is there to take statements, measurements, and photos is integral for determining fault.
- Call Your Motorcycle Accident Lawyer: The best accident attorneys and legal firms will have resources to help you through every step of an accident. This includes knowing where to be treated for medical ailments, and especially what to report to insurance. Getting the best treatment and determinations can often save you thousands.
- Exchange Information: If there is another party, you need to get their license number and insurance information.
- Gather Information: Don’t rely solely on the police for this step; if you are able to, take pictures with your phone of every angle of the accident site and vehicles.
- Call Your Insurance Company: This can also be done via your legal representation if need be. No matter who is at fault, your insurance company needs to know what happened. Never contact the other party’s insurance company first, and we highly recommend letting your motorcycle accident lawyer assist you with this step.
The best motorcycle accident lawyers will be able to help you with every step of the process. Accidents can be very traumatic and hard to deal with, but the proper legal assistance can go a long way in making your life easier.
Motorcycle Accident? Law Tigers is Here for You the Whole Way Through.
At Law Tigers, we have helped countless clients get the proper assistance they need after a motorcycle accident. Our aim is to get you the compensation and treatment you deserve, while making sure you’re legally protected in any circumstance.
If you have been in a motorcycle accident and are looking to get proper legal representation, please contact us today. One conversation could change your life for the better.